Saturday, March 7, 2009

Betty Crocker's Potato Salad



I have made this potato salad many, many times, and people always love it. In fact, I am rather famous in my circles for "my" potato salad. I don't believe I have ever even told anyone where the recipe came from, so now the cat's out of the bag. I'm posting it here, exactly as it appears in my vintage 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook.
POTATO SALAD
2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 hard-cooked eggs, cut up
Wash potatoes. Heat 1 inch salted water (1/2 teaspoon salt to 1 cup water) to boiling. Add unpared potatoes. Cover tightly; heat to boiling and cook 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool and peel. Cut potatoes into cubes; combine in bowl with onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; mix with Italian salad dressing. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Just before serving, add mayonnaise; toss until potatoes are well coated. Stir in celery and eggs.

3 comments:

  1. YES! My mom made the same potato salad, and I have carried on the tradition. She used to make it to serve along side her great fried chicken. I miss those summer nights. Thanks for posting it. I lost my recipe for it, and I I thought I might have lost it forever. It is the very best potato salad. The macaroni salad from the same book is yummy too. V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank you for posting this my mom cooked everything put of the vintage book and five years ago a fire took everything including her hand written. Notes when she would make substitutes. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I have been making this for years and have made a couple of changes. Since neither of us cares for celery, we usually omit the celery. We use "Good Seasons" Italian dressing and usually add just a bit more. I like it fine made with mayonnaise, but my wife prefers miracle whip. The most important alteration is that we use red potatoes or yukon golds and run them though the dicer unpeeled; saves a lot of time and work and the potatoes cook much quicker. We also use about double the eggs, with about half just sliced and placed decoratively around the top. The best part is--NO MUSTARD!

    ReplyDelete