Friday, July 31, 2009

Southern Fried Salmon Patties

Salmon patties are a good answer for those, what can I make for dinner times, when you haven't been grocery shopping, or maybe it's the day before pay day. It is an old fashioned Southern favorite that I get a hankering for every once in a while, and I always have a can or two of salmon on hand.

One 15 oz. can salmon
1/4 cup chopped onions or scallions
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup, or more, self rising cornmeal mix
Salt and pepper, to taste

Drain salmon and place into a mixing bowl. Flake salmon with a fork, then mix in the onions and eggs. Add the cornmeal, using more if the mixture is too wet. Add salt and pepper to taste. Form into patties, a little smaller than a hamburger. Pan fry in olive oil, turning once, until very brown on each side. Drain on paper towels.

This is a very flexible recipe which is good with a variety of herbs and sauces. I enjoy adding dill and serving them with lemon. My husband likes a little added heat, cayenne or jalepano. Kids like them plain with ketchup.

2 comments:

  1. add sage to salmon patties and see how good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I'll have to try that. I do love sage.

    ReplyDelete