Sunday, September 20, 2009

Clinging to the Final Throes of Summer



I am not one of the people who look forward to the end of summer and the beginning of fall, with the cooler temperatures. I love summer and I never want it to end. I wince at the first sight of a pumpkin.

A trip to the Farmers Market, last week, yielded what is probably about the last of the summer vegetables, which I made into soup for the winter. I got out my biggest pot and starting building the layers.

First the tomatoes

Then the onions



The okra


Potatoes go in


Tiny sliced eggplant are layered on


Corn is added



And lastly, the squash

I covered the pan and brought it to a simmer. After the vegetables started softening, I added some sea salt, and after about an hour, I had soup ready to be canned. In the winter, meat, grains, garlic, spices or other ingredients can be added to make a more substantial soup or stew.

The soup

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rocquie, Thanks for your kind words. And you live in Western North Carolina? Asheville is one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Susan. Yes, we love it here.

    ReplyDelete