Thursday, March 18, 2010

Corned Beef & Cabbage Sandwich


I don't believe I have a drop of Irish blood, but my husband does--he has a lot! Corned Beef and Cabbage for St. Patrick's day is his favorite meal of the year. I had never cooked a corned beef until I started hanging around with him; now it is an annual ritual.

This year I cooked my corned beef a little differently and I don't think I'll ever make it any other way. It was perfectly moist and tender and it was so easy! Get ready for this. I took it out of the package, rinsed off that reddish goo, plopped it into the crockpot, sprinkled the contents of the little spice packet over the top, covered and turned it on high for 1 hour, then reduced the heat to low, and cooked it for about 7 more hours. That's it. Nothing else. No liquid of any kind was needed. Pritchard Parker was very happy when he came home from work and smelled it. I sauteed our cabbage as a side dish and served it with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes.

For lunch today, I made this really tasty sandwich: One slice whole grain toast, spread with Honeycup mustard, some leftover sauteed (tender crisp) cabbage, a nice slice of swiss cheese, a slice of corned beef, microwaved for 30 seconds to melt the cheese. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Corned beef is a good time, I need to make one soon. That sandwich looks awesome, love the melty cheese!

    ReplyDelete