Thursday, March 11, 2010

Scrambled Egg Tuna Melt

There were leftover scrambled eggs with cheese after a big family breakfast. As my mother and I were cleaning up, she told me that if my grandmother (her mother-in-law) had leftover eggs she would use them to make tuna salad. I loved that idea so much that I immediately made a tuna salad, which the two of us later enjoyed for lunch as the rest of the family engaged in various activities.

I used to boil eggs for tuna salad. Now I scramble them. I love the taste, the texture, and the look of tuna salad made this way. And it makes me think of my beautiful grandmother working in her kitchen. It makes me think of the sunny yellow pitcher she used for serving milk, and the copper pans she cleaned, shined, and hung on display after every use.

Scrambled Egg Tuna Melt
3 soft scrambled eggs with cheese
1 large pouch tuna
1 plump shallot, thinly sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
2 - 3 Tbsp. mayo, enough to bind salad together
slices of hearty whole grain bread
tomato slices
avocado slices
deli sliced provolone cheese

Mix together the scrambled eggs, tuna, shallot, jalapeno pepper, and mayo. Add a scoop of tuna salad on bread slices, top with tomato, avocado, then a slice of cheese. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it lovely how the simplest foods can evoke such beautiful memories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love scrambled egg...
    Easy to prepare but yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have thought to put egg in tuna salad, let alone scrambled eggs. I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, yes it is, and I feel fortunate to have the many food memories I do.

    Jeani, yes they are yummy.

    Bob, Hmmm, I thought everyone put egg in tuna salad, but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of/tried egg in tuna salad either! This seems like a wonderful idea. Will be trying soon.

    ReplyDelete