Monday, May 3, 2010

Celery Stuffed with Pimiento Cheese


I have previously blogged about Pimiento Cheese, a beloved Southern spread, which I grew up on, am very familiar with, and am comforted by. If you want to read the long version, you can here. This is the short version.
Without going into the differences of opinion about Pimiento Cheese, as I have covered that, I am simply stating the way I make it and my family prefers it. The traditional cheese used is extra sharp yellow cheddar, hand grated. Most recipes I see call for draining the pimientos and using much more mayonnaise than I do. I don't like the taste of mayonnaise so I retain the pimiento juice for added moisture and use only enough mayo to take advantage of its binding qualities.
If you let your cheese come to room temperature before grating, it will be easier to grate. Also because the cheese is softer, it is easier to judge the final texture while mixing.

Pimiento Cheese
16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4 oz. jar chopped pimiento, undrained
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1/4 c. to 1/2 c. good quality mayonnaise
Freshly ground black pepper or cayenne, to taste

Mix all ingredients together until desired consistency, starting with the lesser amount of mayonnaise.
Make Pimiento Cheese sandwiches, spread on crackers, or one of our family's favorite ways, stuffed into celery.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to try out pimento cheese at home. I think my kids would love an afternoon snack like that with the celery :o)

    ReplyDelete