Thursday, July 29, 2010

Falafel

At Alice's request, I made a Falafel Dinner for her birthday. While I have no expertise in Middle Eastern cookery, Alice and I have worked together in kitchens within the natural foods industry, and we both share a passion for healthful food. Falafel certainly fits the description of heathful and has been very popular in natural foods cafes for many years.

Falafel
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 medium onion, finely minced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. corriander
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup (approx.) dry bread crumbs

I use a combination of a potato masher and a fork to mash the chickpeas until thick and smooth. Add all remaining ingredients, except the bread crumbs, and stir until thoroughly combined. Slowly add bread crumbs, until the mixture holds together well. Form into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball, then flatten into patties. Pan fry in olive oil until browned on both sides.

Serve the Falafel patties with crisp lettuce, freshly sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, pita bread, and lemon tahini sauce (recipe will follow soon).


3 comments:

  1. I have had falafel at a Lebanese restaurant before and liked them a lot. However, I have never made them myself. The recipe sounds delicious, I'm looking forward to you posting the lemon tahini as well. I will definitely try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Can not wait to try this. I love Falafel! Thanks so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever made falafel one time and it was a bit of a disaster. Your recipe sounds like a winner & I'll be trying this out for sure, very soon!

    ReplyDelete