Saturday, July 24, 2010

Grilled Peach & Cottage Cheese Salad


A man from our neighboring state was selling South Carolina peaches from his pickup truck, which he had parked in a shady spot on the side of the road.

The man had the tailgate of his truck open and was sitting on it, one leg drawn up, picking at his toenails with a pocket knife. As I approached I could see a paper plate of peach slices beside him. He offered me a sample, to which I replied, "Um, no thanks". He came right back with, "They're real good". I agreed that they did look and smell very good and bought some.

I am always very fastidious about washing my food, but I took even greater pain with these. I just about scrubbed the velvet off of them.



Grilled Peach & Cottage Cheese Salad
Fresh summer peaches
Brown sugar
Cottage cheese
Crisp lettuce
Olive Oil
Coarse sea salt, if desired
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Wash and halve peaches, remove pit, but don't peel them. The peel keeps them sturdy enough for the grill, helps seal in the juices, and the peel becomes very tender when cooked. Sprinkling the peaches lightly with brown sugar helps caramelize them and seal in the juices from the cut sides.

Place prepared peaches on medium hot grill and let them sizzle until very tender but not mushy. Place the tender and caramelized peaches on lettuce leaves, top with a big dollop of cottage cheese, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper.

One of my blogger friends shows how easy it is to make your own cottage cheese, at her blog, Needful Things. Check it out.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, grilled peaches are the bomb and those look perfect! Heh, I would have washed them wicked carefully too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad looks delicious, but I love the pocket knife reference. My Dad also cut his toenails with his pocket knife. He also cut our apples at the park with his pocket knife. As a kid I just KNEW he had 2 knives in his pocket, one for toes and one for apples! Of course he did not, we never got sick as kids. But I am sure that is my reason for scrubbing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melynda, if the man had been my Daddy, I may have accepted a slice of peach. I had an idea of where his feet had been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad sounds so delicious - I love peaches in any form & would love to try them out this way.
    The visual of the guy and his toenails & pocketknife makes my own toes curl a little, though!

    ReplyDelete