Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ham and Cheese Potato Soup

We enjoyed warm weather for a while after summer officially ended, but Fall is definitely here now.  We had a cold front move in bringing with it with several cool, rainy, gray days.  The kind of days that make me want to cook a big pot of hearty soup, which is exactly what I did. 

I used some leftover baked ham, but you could also use some deli ham. Also, I served my soup this time with homemade garlic croutons but cornbread is delicious with potato soup and what I usually do. 

Ham and Cheese Potato Soup
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups diced ham
1/1/2 cups water or broth
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups milk
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

In a large pan, combine potatoes, carrots, celery, ham, water, and salt.  Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer until potatoes are just tender.  Blend together thee butter and salt and stir into soup.  Add the parsley and pepper.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.Remove from heat and stir in cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are killing me! But in a good way, this looks so good and I love potato soup. Thanks so much. We still are not using a menu system here, but I have put into place a couple of loose "food guidelines/rules" and one of those is Soup Saturday. You know this will be on the menu soon.

    ReplyDelete