Sunday, January 16, 2011

Greek Green Beans



This is a wonderful recipe for green beans, especially if you love feta cheese like I do.  I made this dish during my post- holiday-super-intense-craving for vegetables, and only vegetables phase.  

The recipe starts with fresh green beans, which are washed and stemmed. Sweet onions and garlic are sauteed in olive oil before stirring in the green beans, along with tomato sauce. Fresh mint is used, and try not to skip it because it really adds so much to the flavor.  In the end, feta cheese is stirred in. 

I served the green beans with a sweet potato prepared my favorite way--baked, with butter, salt, and pepper.  This was a perfectly satisfying supper for me.  For Pritchard Parker, I added a couple of pork chops and buttered biscuits. 

Greek Green Beans
1 large, sweet onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 lb. fresh green beans, washed and stemmed
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp. fresh mint, chopped
8 oz. feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In large skillet, saute onion in olive oil, then add garlic. Add green beans and tomato sauce and stir well to combine. Add 1/2 cup water. Stir in the fresh mint. Cover and cook over medium heat until beans are nearly done, adding more water or tomato sauce as necessary. Lower heat and add feta cheese. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. 



9 comments:

  1. Next time the Hawthornes are in your neck of the woods, can we stop by for some good eats?

    Green beans and sweet potatoes are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now I'm craving your Greek Green Beans and a big fat baked sweet potato... although pork chops and buttered biscuits sound good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love a sweet potato that exact way. The green beans sound pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat, since I love green beans and sweet potatoes both! Love the last photo - it's so inviting. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds incredibly delicious! I crave vegetable dishes exactly like this! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum, I love green beans and this sounds like an incredibly flavorful way to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes. I love feat cheese. This sounds like the perfect side dish with grilled lamb to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a wonderful way to cook green beans. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there to every body, it's my first visit of this webpage;
    this weblog carries remarkable and really excellent information in favor of
    visitors.

    ReplyDelete