Monday, March 28, 2011

Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw


Here is a delicious coleslaw my family really goes for. Especially my Mother. When we get together, she always asks me to make it.  I thinly slice the cabbage using my sharp chef's knife and that's what Mama loves. She also loves watching me do it.  I have given her the recipe but she always says she can't cut the cabbage like I do. When I visit her kitchen, I always take a cutting board and my knife.

I have assured Mama the slaw will taste equally delicious if she uses her food processor, but no, she wants it my way. So of course, I always happily make it for her. It is part of the sweet and poignant circle of life. Oh the hours I have spent, sitting in the kitchen, watching Mama cook.

This salad has a tangy vinegar and oil dressing and a wonderful homemade flavor. It is great for picnics because there is no mayonnaise.  Make the salad a couple hours ahead of serving time, so it can marinate for at least 2 hours.

Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
1 medium head cabbage, shredded
2 medium carrots, grated
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt, to taste
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 medium onion, quartered

In a large bowl, toss cabbage, carrots and celery seed until well mixed. Place the vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, ground mustard, and onion into a blender. Process until the mixture is creamy and emulsified. Pour over the cabbage and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, sounds good. I should make cole slaw more often when we have lots of eaters around the table. I think I like it best as an add in for a sandwich, in place of a lettuce leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincidentally I was actually looking for a non-mayo coleslaw recipe just a few days ago. This one seems right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe. I bet it would be absolutely fabulous with some pulled pork sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know where your mom is coming from... I don't like coleslaw with shredded cabbage but i love it when I thinly slice the cabbage by hand. It's a texture thing!

    ReplyDelete