Friday, July 1, 2011

Cucumber and Mint Raita


Raita is a yogurt salad made with thick, whole-milk yogurt and various chopped vegetables. Typically used as a condiment, raitas are seasoned with various spices and herbs, and are designed as a cooling element to counterbalance many spicy Indian foods. 

I always have raita when dining in Indian restaurants and I always make it at home when I cook Indian food. I have eaten it and made it several ways. One raita I enjoyed very much was made with cucumber, scallions, tomatoes, and fresh dill. But the one I always go back to, is one made cucumber and mint. 

I also enjoy eating a dish of raita for breakfast, making a nice break from all the fruit-flavored choices available in supermarkets. 

Cucumber and Mint Raita
3 cups plain, whole milk yogurt
1 large cucumber
Fresh mint leaves
1/2 tsp. toasted, ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Pour yogurt into a mixing bowl. Peel, seed, and dice the cucumber and add to the bowl. Chop fresh mint leaves to equal about 1 Tbsp. and add to the bowl.  Mix all together and season with the cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper.  Cover and chill.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about the sauce pictured with your Cardamom & Black Pepper Chicken! This sounds fabulous and I have a mint patch threatening to take over my herb garden. Can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete