Sunday, July 24, 2011

Rose of Sharon


Yes, this is a food blog and I don't steer off course often, but I wanted to show off the three colors of Rose of Sharon we have growing in our backyard. These are courtesy of a former owner of our house.  I don't know who they were, but I thank them. What a lovely gift. 



I also want to tell you that I have accepted a fulltime job outside our home. This will be the first time I have held a fulltime job in three years.  Why am I telling you this? Because it will, inevitably, effect my blogging. No longer will I have the bonus time to sit around and imagine.

I have, and will, continue to cook and photograph. It is the actual blogging aspect I haven't quite figured out yet. But I will.  I love this little corner of the internet I have created. 


When I was a little girl, my Grandmother showed me how to make a little doll using these flowers. I would make a line-up of them and play for hours. They would dance and sing and parade around and pose.  Every summer, I make at least one, in remembrance of her. 




"I am the Rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys."

Song of Solomon 2:1


4 comments:

  1. So, so happy about your new job! I know this has been your hope for some time now, and from a selfish standpoint, I also hope you are not too scarce......I always enjoy my visits here! Your backyard must be gorgeous right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations about the job, but you really need to figure out how to blog at work. Yes, I'm selfish.

    BTW, loved the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty darn cool to learn something as whimsical as this about my mother after knowing her my whole life. Thanks for sharing Mama!

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats once again on your job!
    Love the flower doll. Makes me wish we had those flowers here so I could show my daughter how to make them.

    ReplyDelete