Saturday, April 21, 2012

Organic Blue Cheese Burger


For several days, I kept thinking about spaghetti with meat sauce.  Every time I thought about it, I immediately thought about pink slime, which has been all over the news.  Yuck.  I don't eat much meat and what I do eat I am very particular about. Sadly, I have probably eaten pink slime. However, now that I am aware of the insipid practice, I won't knowingly eat pink slime again.

Because I kept wanting to cook and eat spaghetti with meat sauce, I went to Earth Fare, which is very close to my workplace, on a quest for pink slime free ground beef.  On my way there I thought that if I really wanted to compare the organic ground beef to what we had been eating, I should simply make a hamburger. I did both.



The taste of the ground beef in the meat sauce, even with the tomatoes, onions, and garlic, was outstanding. Apparently I had become accustomed to the bland taste of commercial ground beef (and I don't want to think any further about that closed chapter).

And then there was the burger. THE Burger. Here, the taste of the locally sourced, humanely raised, organic beef was clearly superior. I'll never go back.




I gently patted the ground meat into patties, cooked them in my black iron skillet, and melted blue cheese over the top. They were dressed with lettuce, tomato and onion, sprinkled with Celtic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and served on whole wheat buns.


1 comment: