Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sweet Potato Smoothie



I have been drinking a smoothie everyday. The more of them I make, the more ideas I get about what will work and taste great while providing much needed healing power for my body.

One thing I add to almost every smoothie is protein powder, which has become very popular and is sold in almost every store. The popularity and variety of protein powders is due largely to body builders. My nutritional needs are obviously different than those of a 27 year old male body builder so I did my homework.

You may not want or need a protein powder supplement. I know, from blood tests, that my protein is low and that is why I am using it. But there are other reasons to add protein to your diet. Protein provides energy, promotes muscle function, optimizes healthy skin, boosts the immune system providing defense against infections, and helps regulate metabolism. 

There are also other things to add to smoothies which provide protein--peanut butter and other nut butters, cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, tofu to name a few.

I also want to mention the differing quality and pricing of protein powders. Some contain fillers and ingredients I don't want to consume. Some are very expensive. Some taste bad. It has been my experience that you don't have to commit to one of those big jars without trying it first. Every powder I have wanted to use, provided a free or low cost sample to try out first. 

Oh yeah, and I don't have any fancy smoothie-making equipment with a catchy name. I use my 30 year old blender and it works just fine.

Sweet Potato Smoothie
1 small baked sweet potato
1 peach (frozen is fine)
1 tsp. (to taste) freshly grated ginger
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup carrot juice
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 serving protein powder, optional

Buzz in blender, adding more carrot juice, milk (cow, soy, almond, coconut) to desired consistency. Tastes like sweet potato pie. 




No comments:

Post a Comment