Friday, April 26, 2013

Southern Corn Pudding


I'll tell you a little secret about Pritchard Parker: He loves to shop. I loathe it. I like to go to the grocery store, otherwise, count me out. Browsing in stores is not my idea of a good time, so he goes without me and avoids my complaining.  He loves to shop in thrift stores--please, don't even ask me to enter one of those. And pawing through someone else's discards at a yard sale? No thanks, I'll just sit in the car and listen to the voices in my head. Wal*Mart = HELL.

Lucky for me though. He buys almost all my clothes and is constantly bringing me little surprises in the form of gadgets for the kitchen, pretty dishes and linens, cookbooks. Just yesterday, he came home with a beautiful red silk blouse for me.

He recently brought home one of those fund-raiser cookbooks we all love. Even though he got it at a thrift store, it was "brand new" and still wrapped in cellophane. I decided to visit the Business and Professional Women of Alabama (my home state) in the year 1989 through their recipes.

Wait till you see the cake I made from this book. The one with a very catchy name.



Corn Pudding
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cream corn
1 stick melted butter
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. red pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients except the cheese. Pour into a greased 2-quart casserole dish or pan. Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, top with the cheese and continue baking, uncovered, for 15 more minutes, until done.


The irony here is that the only food my husband will not eat is corn. But don't worry, I made some of his favorites to enjoy while I ate my corn.

5 comments:

  1. This is one yummy looking dish that I will make on the weekend. Would go great with barbie chicken or pork and some greens. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia. Yes, I think this would be very good with BBQ chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I love thrift stores, so when we get together for coffee or tea, we won't shop! This Southern Corn Pudding would be a great recipe for camp food also, it will go with just about everything and the ingredients are easy to pack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Melynda! I actually thought of you when I wrote that. When we get together, let's EAT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very delicious . Do you know how to make sweet corn spoon bread? It's almost like a pudding . I've had it once but no idea how to recreate it in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete