Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Dump Cake


Remember the thrift shop cookbook I told you about in my last post? Of course you do. It is a fund-raiser cookbook, vintage 1989, assembled by the Business and Professional Women of Alabama. This recipe was submitted by Gwen Lovell of Talladega, Alabama.

Although the recipe calls for a cake mix, it is really not a cake at all. It is really more like a cobbler. I don't know why Miss Gwen calls it by the unflattering name "Dump" cake. After all, she could have called it Pineapple-Cherry Grunt. Or Fruit Slump. But I must admit, it was the name that called my attention to this recipe to begin with.

This dessert is ridiculously quick and easy to assemble and  I am reluctant to admit how delicious the humble dish tasted. I am trying to be true to these recipes and not make substitutions, but I did put my foot down on using the carton of non-dairy whipped topping called for and whipped some fresh cream.

Dump Cake
1 large can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 can cherry pie filling
1 cup chopped nuts, pecans
1 box dry yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted

Pour pineapple, cherry pie filling, and nuts into a 13 x 9 inch cake pan. Spread dry cake mix evenly over the fruit mixture. Drizzle evenly with melted butter or margarine. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Top with whipped cream.  (Ice cream would also be good).



7 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I had dump cake I was pretty amazed that something so delicious could be made with a simple cake mix. Over the years I varied the recipe by using different cake mixes (cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix and walnuts is pretty good!). It's been a while since we bought cake mixes though - now I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time I had dump cake I was pretty amazed that something so delicious could be made with a simple cake mix. Over the years I varied the recipe by using different cake mixes (cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix and walnuts is pretty good!). It's been a while since we bought cake mixes though - now I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grapefruit, I never even heard of this cake before this cookbook. Where have I been? I think I'll try the chocolate cake mix next time.

      Delete
  3. I used to make this all of the time....I love it!! I just wish it didn't have a stick of butter in it, but then it wouldn't be yummy, would it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, good to see you about and about. I miss seeing your blog on a regular basis. Oh yes, and about that stick of delicious butter. . .

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Melynda, I love it too, now that I know about it. We made it through that cake pretty quick!

      Delete