Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Broiled Ruby Grapefruit



I am not a breakfast eater and never have been. I am not hungry and I don't like the fuss involved. I like to awaken slowly and quietly, sip my cup of tea, and think my thoughts. Morning, when undisturbed, is when I remember my dreams.

A beautiful Ruby Grapefruit on a cold and dreary winter morning is a breakfast I can embrace.  I enjoy the preheating of the oven and the brewing of the tea as the chilly kitchen warms for the day. As I slice the grapefruit sections free from the membrane and sprinkle brown sugar atop, the cheery citrus aroma is gently released, with a sweet, tart, juicy promise. 

A fantastic way to ease into your day.

Broiled Ruby Grapefruit
1 grapefruit
2 - 3 teaspoons brown sugar (to taste)

Preheat your oven's broiler and position a rack so the cut grapefruit will be about 3 inches from the heat source.

Cut the grapefruit in half horizontally. Cut each section free from the membranes. Sprinkle with desired amount of brown sugar.

Place the grapefruit halves on a small baking pan and broil for about 10 minutes, until the sugar is melted and the edges are beginning to brown.



2 comments:

  1. Your food is always a feast for the eyes as well. I love ruby grapefruit, but never tried them broiled. Maybe I should, when the weekend rolls around. I am hungry in the morning, but it is usually toast in my car on the way to Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet thing to say, Melynda. I hope you will try a broiled grapefruit--they are delicious. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete